Thursday, February 5, 2009

square foot solutions

I was talking on the phone with my mom when she mentioned to me that she and a friend are going to attempt to 'square foot garden'. I asked her what it was, and she explained that the general concept involves using a small rasied space to produce a high yield, easy to care for garden. Perfect!
Especially since I rent a house with a little backyard, but plenty of sun. My mother always has the best ideas in terms of gardening and I have always been so impressed with the garden she and my dad have had over the past few years. They have managed to get a good harvest every year from relatively poor, limited mountaintop soil. So I figured why not try this square garden experience with my mom.

Hopefully by the time April rolls around I will be able to start construction on the garden or covince matt to start construction of the frame. Maybe I will make 2 frames.
This is exciting to me and I think will be a great way to get the everyday basics that Matt and I use in cooking- tomatoes, squash, peppers, basil, beans, and maybe cantalope! (Matt can sometimes eat a whole cantolope and call it dinner--me i am slowly starting to enjoy melon.

No comments:

Post a Comment