Saturday, June 18, 2011

Brandon's graduation

A couple of weeks ago. Matt and I traveled to the great Smoky Mountains with the sole purpose to see his brother graduate from Richlands High School in Richland, Virginia. In order for Matt and I to get to Richlands we had to fly into Knoxville, TN and then drive to Virginia. Since we were in Knoxville we decided to take a little detour through the Smokies and Asheville, NC. The Smokies were beautiful and did nt disappoint in the 'smokiness' aspect. It was great to see a whole new ecosystem.


I fell in love with all the rhododendrons, which just happened to be in bloom. I always loved the azaleas in Louisiana, but these rhododendrons are indigenous to the US and the plant itself (without the flowers) has a lovely shape. My favorite ones were the orange flowers. Great color. How often do you see such abundance of orange in nature!

One of the projects I was working on was a college quilt for Brandon. He got accepted to Virgina Tech. I was a little hesitant about making this quilt since the colors were orange and maroon. It was definately a challenge identifying good fabrics. I worried about making it too Virginia tech and also too picnic table cover. In the end I think it turned out alright (even if Matt's brother finds it kinda cheesy).



Finally!!! Congrats Brandon!

No comments:

Post a Comment