Monday, December 14, 2009

Christmas goodies

One of the best things about Christmas are the cookies. I mean, there is nothing like spending time in the kitchen on a cold, winter day with the oven on and the smell of fresh baked goodness filling the air. My mother and I would always spend a day making cookies and fudge for Christmas parties and little gifts. So, I am always on the look out for great recipes. And I believe I found one and I was surprised that it was a sugar cookie recipe. On of my least favorite recipe to make (just ask my mother). I just never liked the rolling and powdering and decorating of them-- sticky dough and me don't mix. Fortunately these cookies lacked rolling and there was a way to avoid the sticking. These cookies came from a recipe in Southern Living and they are simple and delicious!!! The recipe is listed below.

Chai Tea Eggnog Cookies (recipe from magazine)

Ingredients

* 1 chai tea bag
* 1 package sugar cookie mix
* 1/2 cup melted butter
* 1 large egg
* 4 tablespoons eggnog, divided
* Parchment paper
* Cinnamon sugar
* 1 cup powdered sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Remove tea from bag and pour into bowl.

2. Stir together tea leaves, cookie mix, butter, egg, and 2 Tbsp. eggnog until well blended.

3. Drop dough onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. This was the easiest way to remove the cookies. Flatten dough with utensil dipped in cinnamon sugar. (I used the bottom of a measuring cup)

4. Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from baking sheet to a wire rack, and cool completely (about 10 minutes).

5. Whisk together powdered sugar, nutmeg, and remaining 2 Tbsp. eggnog until smooth. Then decorate cookies-- allow to dry.


These cookies cook up quickly and have a unique taste. I made a couple batches, wrapped them up in plastic wrap, tied with bow, and placed in bag for a gift. In addition to cookies, my mom and I always make red hot spiced tea. Yum, yum. I love this stuff. It is also a quick thing to mix together and makes a really pretty gift.

Ingredients
1 large jar of tang mix
1 large jar tropical punch mix
1/2 to 1 cup instant tea mix
1 8 ounce bag cinnamon imperial candies (red hots)
some cinnamon or nutmeg for added flavor

Mix ingredients together and put in container (tins or glass jars!)

Hope everyone has a great holiday.

Oh-- and here are the pictures from my latest swap. I love the color of the yarn. It was surprising that it was a tea swap and I didn't receive tea-- but it is called tea and more-- so no complaints.

No comments:

Post a Comment